The Domácí (hometown) Czech Folk Dancers organized in 1999, originating from the MN Czech Country; this includes the communities of Lonsdale, Montgomery and New Prague Minnesota.
Our folk dress/costumes are replications of original native folk costumes (kroje) of southern Bohemia, where the majority of the communities’ ancestors originate. The choreography is modeled from traditional dances and performed to authentic Czech folk music.
We primarily perform in southern MN, but have also performed at the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library in Cedar Rapids IA, the Czech-Slovak Festival in Phillips WI, and had representation at Wilber Czech Days in Wilber NE.
We strive to preserve Czech customs and traditions through music, dance and song. We will promote this through dance performances done with precision, accuracy and enthusiasm.
The Domácí Dancers want to pass on the traditions of our Czech heritage, especially to younger generations. We continuously encouraging enrollment of new members of any age.
Children’s Group: ages 5 to 12
Junior Group: ages 13 to 20
• Partners are not needed
• Traditional choreography taught
• Vocabulary & singing also taught
• Folk dress will be supplied by the Group for each member.
• Accessories purchased by each member include headpieces, and footwear
Practices are held monthly; 2nd Saturday/month at Falcon Ridge Elementary School in New Prague
Performances vary may include:
• Montgomery Kolacky Days
• New Prague Dozinky
• National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library in Cedar Rapids IA
• Phillips WI Czech/Slovak Festival
• Sokol MN events
• Masopust (Czech Mardi Gras)
• Christmas programs
• Nursing home & school performances